A salad dressed simply with lemon juice and oil. No heavy dressings, no added calories or fat. It’s so delicious, you won’t miss the ranch, I promise.
I learned to appreciate light salads dressed only in oil and lemon juice while living in Chile where the only other option is usually vinegar and oil. If you want to be really authentic, Chileans usually use iceberg lettuce and regular, fresh but peeled tomatoes, but I take advantage of the chance to pack in some nutrients with Organic Girl’s Good Clean Greens and grape tomatoes.
This is my typical post-workout meal. I do all the prep for this salad during the day so I can just come home and assemble. I buy frozen Alaskan wild-caught salmon which come in packs of 2 filets. I thaw them the night before and cook them wrapped in foil on the grill. To save time, I buy Seeds of Change Brown Basmati Rice in a pouch which you can simply heat up in the microwave. If you want to avoid canned goods, you can get the olives at the olive bar and skip the hearts of palm, but I think they are worth it!
- 1 filet Alaskan, wild-caught salmon
- 1 12-inch sheet aluminum foil
- 1/2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 2 lemon slices
- 2 handfuls of mixed greens, pre-washed
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 14-ounce can hearts of palm, salad cut or sliced
- 1/2 14-ounce can olives, black or kalamata
- 1 handful grape tomatoes, washed
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the salmon:
- Turn on grill to medium-high heat or turn on broiler.
- Place oil in the middle of foil sheet. Place salmon, skin side down on oiled foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place lemon slices on top. Bend in sides of foil and fold together so that you create a pouch without any openings.
- Place salmon pouch on hot grill or under broiler for about 10 minutes. Remove from grill. Carefully open pouch, allowing any steam to escape. Check to make sure salmon is flaky and pink and no longer red inside. Allow to cool. If making ahead of time, chill in the refrigerator.
To assemble the salad:
- Place greens in large bowl or on plate. Follow with brown rice, and place cooled or chilled salmon on top.
- Add avocado, tomatoes, hearts of palm, olives, and egg.
- Dress with olive oil, the juice of the rest of the lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
DOWNLOAD RECIPE PDF: Chilean-Style Salmon Salad