This is another variation on simple, quick nutritious meals that I eat for lunch that require horrible adulterations of sushi. You have to understand: avocado, smoked salmon and cream cheese is my favorite combination in the world. I also love the taste of toasted nori. You can check out the Guerilla Nori Rolls I posted a few months ago.
Just chop the veggies into strips. Add shredded carrots if you so desire. Garnish with cilantro, chopped chives, whatever you want or have on hand. Wasabi totally optional, it didn’t have any today. If you’re not flat out in love with avocado I do not understand you. We may or may not be able to be friends. Avocado is my passion. It’s my love. I eat it on and with everything. Sometimes with a spoon, straight out of the shell with a little bit of salt.
Deconstructed Philadelphia Roll
- 1 sheet toasted nori torn into stips
- heaping 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked and warmed slightly
- 1/4 cucumber chopped into long strips
- 1-2 long strips of cream cheese
- 4-inch slice smoked salmon
- 1/2 avocado sliced and removed from peel
- spinach for garnish
- soy sauce and wasabi to taste (optional)
- Place cup of rice into the middle of a plate or bowl.
- Wrap nori strips around rice mound. Alternatively, cut them into squares and decorate rice mound. Use a little bit of water to make them stick together.
- Stack cucumber, cream cheese strips on top of rice.
- Carefully drape smoked salmon over the top.
- Garnish with avocado slices and spinach.
- Drizzle entire plate with soy sauce.
- Destroy the sushi as you eat it, a la Godzilla.