When winter is bleak and grey add some color to your life! When it comes to fruits and vegetables, more color means more nutrients. Today’s morning smoothie oddly resembles the colors of my current knitting project. Blood reds and bold oranges–like the colors of a summer sunrise or sunset. Despite the fact that we are no where near summer. A girl can dream.
While this smoothie is packed with sweet fruits, the predominant flavor here is beet. So if you don’t like beets, you may want to skip this one! Beets and carrots are pretty fibrous, so this smoothie may take quite a few blend cycles to get smooth. It also comes out pretty thick, so adjust amounts of coconut water according to your texture preference.
Sunrise Beet and Carrot Smoothie
- 2 small beets or 1 large beet, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium to small carrots or one large carrot, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1/2 mango peeled and removed from seed
- 1/3 pineapple, peeled and cored
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 coin size piece of ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup- 1 cup coconut water
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients together in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. If mixture is too thick, add more coconut water. My smoothie took 3 cycles on the purée function.